July 22, 2016

My Favorite... Movie with @karenrosesmith

A Movie To Fuel My Writing


My favorite all time movie is GHOST with Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore.  I viewed this movie with my husband in a theatre when it was first released back in 1990.  I went to see it because of Patrick Swayze. But I easily was enthralled with the storyline.  When I was in high school I was introduced to the book The Search For Bridey Murphy about past lives and was fascinated. I was Catholic but saw no clash with my background. I progressed to books about Edgar Cayce and clairvoyance.

It was shortly after my dad passed on that I viewed Ghost for the first time. I cried buckets, especially at the end. After all, isn't that what we want to believe about loved ones? That they'll always watch over us? That they are in a beautiful place of peace and light?

Energy surrounds us all the time.  After a loved one passes, have you ever felt their presence?  On an important occasion or maybe a holiday?  Love is energy that never leaves us and I think we go on feeling it throughout our lives.  I have an antique chest that belonged to my mom.  Every time I pass it, I remember my childhood and the house where I grew up.  Every once in a while, it seems to give off a scent that can take me back there in my mind...and in my heart.  When it does, it seems to be at those times when I need the touch of my mom's hand on my shoulder the most.

I think energy, a sixth sense and intuition are all closely related.  That's why it was easy for me to create a heroine who can find missing persons through their bonds with their loved ones.  In NATHAN'S VOW, the first novel in my SEARCH FOR LOVE series, Nathan asks Gillian to assist him in finding his ex-wife and daughters.  Although Gillian was recommended to him because of her success rate, he is skeptical at first.  But he learns she indeed has a gift.  He also learns that love is the greatest gift of all.

Gillian has a continuing role in all but one of the SEARCH FOR LOVE books. In my newest addition to the series, book 8--THE WEDDING PROMISE, Gillian helps the heroine find a lost best friend from her teenage years. This search is the key to the heroine's healing. Beth has known trauma in her life. She never expects her search to lead to danger as well as true love.

My SEARCH FOR LOVE series encompasses everything I'd like to believe about our connections to loved ones, our spiritual base, believing and hoping when we don't completely understand. When I want to remember all that and fuel my writing, I pull out my GHOST DVD and view it all over again.





Award-winning author Karen Rose Smith was born in Pennsylvania. Although she was an only child, she remembers the bonds of an extended family. Since her father came from a family of ten and her mother, a family of seven, there were always aunts, uncles and cousins visiting on weekends. Family is a strong theme in her books and she suspects her childhood memories are the reason.

In college, Karen began writing poetry and also met her husband to be. They both began married life as teachers, but when their son was born, Karen decided to try her hand at a home-decorating business.  She returned to teaching for a while but changes in her life led her to writing romance fiction. Now she writes romances and mysteries full time.

 Presently, she is hard at work on two mystery series—her Caprice De Luca Home Staging series as well as her Daisy's Tea Garden mysteries.  When she isn't writing, she cares for her four rescued cats and assorted strays, cooks, gardens and photographs all.  She enjoys interacting with her readers on social media.

Married to her college sweetheart since 1971, believing in the power of love and commitment, she envisions herself writing relationship novels, both romance and mystery, for a long time to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment